We have changed the location of the blog (the old one is www.ladespensadevalonga.com/blog) but some recipes, the ones I repeat the most, I will transfer to this one.
Strudel is a cake that I love, very typical of Central European countries, Slovenia, Poland…. there are them with different ingredients: pears, cherries, blueberries, in short, it gives a lot of play and allows for a thousand variations.
You can use puff pastry, as in this recipe, or filo pastry, which is somewhat more delicate.
What do we need:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (rectangular)
- 3 apples (I prefer golden and if they are small, add another one)
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs, if necessary
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- whole sugar
- raisins, if you like them, always boneless
- 10 walnut kernels
- a handful of flaked almonds
- Soak the raisins with a liquor of your choice (rum, Grand Marnier, muscatel…)
- Sauté the peeled, cored and chunked apples with a tablespoon of brown sugar and the butter in a saucepan, until they soften a little (do not make compote, as they will continue to cook in the oven later)
- Remove from heat, put in a bowl and let cool.
- Add the drained raisins and a little cinnamon to the bowl, if you see that there is some liquid left, add a teaspoon of breadcrumbs to absorb it and mix.
- Place the puff pastry sheet on its baking paper and flatten it a little more with the rolling pin
- Sprinkle with a little brown sugar, the chopped walnuts and the flaked almonds
- Place the filling on the longest part of the rectangle and towards the center without reaching the edges
- Using the baking paper, you can see how it forms like a gypsy arm
- Fold the side edges inward so that the filling does not come out, and seal the entire strudel well with beaten egg. You can sprinkle with more walnuts and flaked almonds
- Bake 30 min at 180º
- Once cold, with the help of a strainer, sprinkle with cinnamon and icing sugar, and that’s it! Enjoy….(I have put it before baking, but I think next time I will put it cold)
Other similar recipes: